The Heritage a salomon story
History of innovation
1947Salomon family wood saws and ski edges’ workshop opens in downtown Annecy.
1957The first Salomon binding, ‘le lift’ is created, replacing the traditional leather binding straps.
1966• Salomon invents the first binding with a self-release heelpiece.
• Salomon bindings are present for the first time at an Olympic Games, Portillo, Chile.
1972Salomon becomes the #1 binding manufacturer in the world selling for the first time more than 1 Million pairs of bindings in that year alone.
1979Salomon alpine boots hit the market and are an immediate success.
1980For the 1979-1980 winter season, the Salomon Nordic System boot and binding ensemble is launched in France and Sweden.
1985• Salomon creates its new headquarters in Metz Tessy, Annecy.
• Salomon sales reach 250 Million Euros.
1990• Salomon has now sold over 10 Million pairs of alpine boots and over 5 Million pairs of XC boots since their arrival on the market 10 years earlier.
• Salomon launches its first ski, the S9000.
1992• Salomon ventures into summer sports with the launch of hiking shoes.
• Salomon skis make their first Olympic Games appearance in Albertville.
1997Boards, bindings and boots; Salomon launches a complete snowboard offer.
2001• Raid Race, the first XA shoe arrives on the market.
• Launch of winter apparel together with the new Softshell technology.
2005• AMER Sports acquires Salomon.
• Salomon has now sold over 20 Million pairs of XC bindings since their launch 25 years earlier.
2008• Custom Fit Technology.
• Kilian Jornet wins the UTMB and sets up a new record (20h for 170km).
2011• Salomon launches Quest Boots and new dimension is given to “fit.”
• The boot has unparalleled downhill attributes and incorporates a “walk” function.
2013• Emelie Forsberg is the Skyrunning World Champion.
• Salomon launches Custom Fit 3D, the next generation liner for the best instant fit.
• Salomon changes its logo.
2015• Salomon launches the Backcountry range, developed in collaboration with athletes to move freely in the mountains.
• Salomon is back in Mountaineering with X ALP range.
• Salomon TV episode “Eclipse” wins Best Snow Film at the Banff Mountain Film Festival.
2016• Salomon unveils new “Time to Play” brand direction urging people to evoke the days of their youth by taking the time they need to go outside and play.
• Salomon launches the QST range of freeride equipment and gear.
2017• Mira Rai is named one of National Geographic’s Adventurers of the Year.
• Kilian Jornet summits Mt Everest twice in five days.
• Francois D’haene wins the UTMB for the 3rd time.
• Liv Sansoz climbs all 82 summits in the Alps that reach to more than 4,000 meters.
2018• Salomon launches the S/LAB Shift Ski binding.
• Kilian Jornet is named National Geographic Adventurer of the Year.
• Salomon athletes win 18 total medals at the Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang, South Korea.
2019• Salomon unveils the WMN campaign, aiming to empower women in the outdoors.
• Courtney DAUWALTER wins UTMB on her first participation.
A PROPOS DE SALOMON
Salomon has been playing in the French alps since 1947.
Our passion for outdoor sports, new technologies and craftsmanship has driven us - and still does - to create progressive gear to enable you to freely enjoy and challenge yourself in the great outdoors.
Don’t wait any longer.
Now, it’s time to play.